Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Going back to basics II ....

Hi all,


Once again, I have been having the film bug. Can't help it, I just like the look of it, developing it, scanning it, printing it,...regardless of what digital offers there are qualities in film that digital simply hasn't quite cut yet, even with the ever increasing megapixel counts in sensors. Dynamic range is one of them, colour depth...your eye just has so much more to appreciate in a film photo even with the grainiest of films. As such, I have been leaving my digital cameras at home and leaving the house with a film camera loaded with monochrome film, or slide film (which I mostly send for process but that will change, thank you Tetenal more on that below :) ) and occasionally with some negative film (which I send for processing, C41 chemistry is expensive and very tricky). The greatest of joys for me this week were when I came across the Tetenal site, selling all the developing kits that an over enthusiastic film user like myself could want. The chemistry for slide in particular is hard to find and the last time I found it, the kit revealed disappointing as the chemistry was very likely off (only found out after I developed the slide). Anyway, enough reading for now, lets do some looking. Here is the material for the day, all film photos of course.

Brian Haw - Kodak Portra 160VC
_________________________________

South African Carnival Dancers - Kodak Portra 160VC
_______________________________________



Bikers - Fujfilm Sensia 200

____________________________________

Until next time,


Luis

1 comment:

antitrance said...

I 100% completely agree with you about film. I definitely much prefer it to digital - there's just that extra something about it. I don't know what it is but it's the best! Cannot wait to get back to London and use my Holga again. :D