Monday, April 23, 2007

New to The Viewfinder....

...the Sigma SD10. This unusual camera uses three layered RGB filters on its sensor, offering true colour in a single pixel location, unlike the usual Bayer sensors. I got my hands on one after scouring the market and realising there is no chance of getting one new, so I got this little quirky and misunderstood camera 2nd hand with a good array of lenses. This camera only shoots RAW and the files need to be converted by its software before you can use them. I took it for some test drives to see how it would fit me and my shooting needs...well, the results speak for themselves:





I was so very pleased with the shooting experience ( I had tried one of these before, but never for a whole day) that I decided to open a section on The Viewfinder, dedicated to the camera and the Foveon sensor (the sensor in the camera). As far as I have owned the camera now (for three days), I haven't seen a lot of the problems that some have pointed out in the camera, apart from the issues of noise at high ISO (but even that has proven to be somewhat due to the way some convert their images). The camera is responsive enough to take actions shots, even though its frame rate may not be to par, but then again, the old school of sports photographers using film back in the 50s-70s did not have frame rates (hell look back enough there weren't even motordrives in those cameras), so it is down to the photographers skill to capture what they want, regardless.

In any case, make sure you point your browsers to the new section, for the above pictures and more at http://foveon-factor.blogspot.com/ or use the link on the right hand side of the blog.

Until next time,


Luis

No comments: